Tuesday, May 24, 2016

What's not there

So yesterday I saw on FB there's this lady who saw a "Disney Princess" in an ice cube in her chilled cup of Iced Coffee. She took a photo of the Disney Princess to show her friends and it went viral. 
Some comments were along the line that respondents are too Boh Liao, Bored, and that to say that the image is a Princess' silhouette is a stretch of their imaginations. 

But this kind of phenomena is nothing new. It's called - Pareidolia, and it happens all the time. 

People see fogs and clouds resembling faces, figures, animals, etc. Some people are more prone in making meaning of the non-relevant chanced occurrence. It's like the brain seeks out to see what's not there. Like seeing a face on the surface of the moon. Some marketing tactics make use of this trait, like having the Amazon logo resemble a smile.

So anyway, I first saw an "ear", then "Cinderella", and lastly, a "lady with big hat".

And then this reminds me of the time I told Val about my "imaginary friends". They were dust-dirt-shadows on the bathroom tiles, there was a Cowboy, a Circus master, a Lion. It's like every morning I tell them about my day while I sit on the throne. Val also has a set of shadowy friends. It's not that uncommon but I guess we outgrow our imaginary friends.





No comments:

Post a Comment