Monday, March 7, 2016

Getting there is half the fun (Being there is everything)


Jumpsuit from Bangkok. est. S$18

In my absence last week, Kiki had negotiated with her teacher for another chance to play Minuet in G. (L.van Beethoven), in class. I was astonished when I learned that. I asked her WHY?. I said there is no need to demonstrate a second time since we've already did it once. She said that the other time, she didn't play the last part well and she wants to do it again. Actually, I am to be blamed because I had pressured her to quickly showcase it in class so that we can get it done with as I was going to be absent the following week. So it was done hurriedly for my selfish reasons. I didn't think it would matter since we were used to criticisms and I thought we would have already resigned to the fact that we are not good at violin. I am surprised that Kiki asked for a second chance to play and also, her teacher called her up to play again. This time, her teacher commented - "It's an achievement" after the other mommies applauded. I am glad that Kiki didn't settle for a poor performance and had worked towards improving. Every weekday afternoon, she practises on her own because night time is reserved for Math & other classes. However, I don't know why I have become cynical to any comment about her playing. It's like whether it was a positive comment or negative comment, my brain has already processed it as a negative comment or condemnation,  or think that they really don't know how badly we actually play. That's so demotivating for Kiki and I really should stop thinking this way and just accept a comment gracefully. Be a little kinder to ourselves and take pride that we are the only student who maintained the teachings in playing a tune without using the book. 

As with every last song in a volume, the last song on book 2- Minuet by Boccherini, is very tough. It would be an accomplishment for us if we could play it well. Coming from a non-music person like me who is just copying each note of a new song from previous songs, I think we've come a long way.

No comments:

Post a Comment