Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Learning to speak up & get my money back



It is never too late for me to learn to have a better relationship with money. 
I've had them before and I've had them left me, but I am now learning to have them back and this time, have a loving relationship with them. 

First and foremost, it really isn't about the physical dollar bills nor the digits in the bank that we're after, although for the sake of trading and for a form of physical exchange, money takes the form of dollar bills, coins, and digits in the bank. 

The real money or the concept of money is,  , , , , , , our feelings. Our relationship with ourselves. 
Well, at least that's how I've come to learn. 

What I'm really after is a wealth of emotions. A wealth of feel-good emotions. Freedom of choice, freedom from fear, guilt, shame & judgement. Move it along the spectrum to freedom to bask in feelings of assurance, abundance, and feelings of empowerment.

When I was short-changed, I had always felt bad about speaking up. It's like- "Ai ya, don't kick a fuss about it lah."  or -- "Well, he's not cheating me, he's cheating himself." or-- "He will face his own Karma." or--"Forget it." etc, etc. So those kinds of thinking becomes outdated, obsolete beliefs with detrimental consequences because, hey! I am still a living person (living in a cosmopolitan city with ever-growing offers).

So anyway, as soon as I was coming into the zone for growth I quickly noticed happenings presenting themselves to check me. Of course when the vending machine didn't give back my change, I thought I shouldn't "waste time and postage" to ask for the change ($1), but I thought again how will I show that I've a new relationship with money if I still fall back on old behaviour? Hence I texted the number on the machine and they sent back my change. That's a good company and this is how the world works, good vibes huddle together. 

Then! Yesterday, an App that I had registered my EZ link card for some point rewards thingy sent me a reminder to use my points before expiry. It occurred to me that that EZ link card was the one I had lost 3 weeks back. I went on the the EZ link activate website to register my card and to view if anyone had picked up my card or used the credits ($19). To my surprise,,,,,,,, my card appears to be lost in twilight zone. So! I am able to deactivate that card and have the money refunded to me. (!) Wow, isn't that wonderful? To say yes and have it come back?

And if you're still here you might as well listen to one more mini-episode regarding my new relationship with money. 

The childcare was gonna refund partials of our deposit after deducting the school fees for the final month of December and that applies to a few eligible parents on subsidized school fees schemes. The principal told me that I wouldn't be getting any refunds because my deposit is just right for December's fees. I just nodded in agreement although I know fully well that we are on subsidized scheme. I was thinking-- never mind lah, the school has been so good to the kids and I, let them have the money they deserve. A few days afterwards, the principal called to tell me she had made a mistake and she'll be refunding partial of the deposit. I was like, wow, thanks! Seriously, I need the money to buy school books and shoes ley! LOL. But on a more serious note, WHY DIDN'T I SPEAK UP? and what changed?   I AM learning to speak up. I have no problems speaking up for others but I have a problem speaking up for myself. That is not a nice position to be in. So, I've moved and shifted. I am learning and growing at 44 no less.


No comments:

Post a Comment