Saturday, February 25, 2017

G for Graphene






I was at MIDA- Malaysian Investment Development Authority (High Commission of Malaysia) to prospect our Graphene. 


The Malaysian Eco-system for commercialization & industrial use of Graphene is much more well established as compared to Singapore. In fact, Malaysia had identified Nanotechnology as one of the new growth engines for the New Economic Model (NEM) since 2009. Being rich in natural resources like rubber & palm oil, they have even incorporated the use of graphene in their Food & Agriculture sector.

MIDA shared with us much valuable information on their NANO Malaysia initiatives and we learned about the five main application sectors shortlisted for the use of graphene.
They are:-
1.       The Ultra-capacitor
2.       Rubber Additives
3.       Plastic Additives
4.       Nano-fluids
5.       Batteries

Nano Malaysia encourages businesses to jump start in four main sectors, namely the food & agriculture, the energy & environment, wellness, medical & healthcare, and the electronics, devices & systems.

The main agenda MIDA is to help non-Malaysian companies set up business units be it rep office, manufacturing or R&D in Malaysia. However, at this initial stage, they are open to give us more background information to get us up to speed.

I must say our potential for graphene sale in Malaysia looks absolutely encouraging.

But my excitement was a little short-lived. I had updated my Principal about Nano Malaysia and they told us to hold our horses. This is because my Principal is already in the talks with Nano Malaysia. But I am not deterred. I feel like asking my Principal to hire me directly. Anyway, they should be starting a rep office in Singapore in the next couple of years and I want to be their pioneer Asian staff. This is exciting times and I can't contain my enthusiasm, it's like I am just above a goldmine.  The exploration has ended, all I need to do translate the material into applications. My head is swimming with unlimited application ideas and I am certain we (as in human kind) is headed for the better.



 Next time, I'm going on a cruise while on work. 






Our NUS’s Advanced 2D material is actually the first Asian Graphene Research Centre (GRC) under the stewardship & advice of Prof. Andre Geim & Prof. Konstantin Novoselov (Nobel Prize Winners 2010). They have asked us to submit our Graphene sample, while I wait with anticipation for our sample as well. Hope-pray we will have a good grade as planned and inspired.




Everyone's upset over PUB's price hike, I must find the time to study how to lower water treatment cost, in relation to new, nano technology. And I hope PUB will be more forth-coming than Hyflux........

No comments:

Post a Comment