Friday, January 29, 2016

Show & Tell



Chinese & English Show & Tell


I asked what she wants to bring for the Show & Tell session. She says she wanna bring her Touch. 
"Touch" is the cow shaped foam neck rest she uses as her 臭臭 (security transitional object), an item she almost can't do without during bedtime. Since young, she finds comfort in touching prints, like a print on T-shirts or in this case, the cow-patch prints on the 臭臭. We have been trying to find a replacement cow. If I ever see this cow again, I will buy... two more, and double-stitch its seams because we've been using this (second) Touch the past four years.  The first time she had to do Show & Tell at childcare, I let her bring Touch to school because I normally just go with the wind, whatever harmless idea she has is fine by me. But this time I said - No. Because this Touch thingy is so personal! How to share about this with 28 other students? Some more what are you gonna talk about your Touch? So now she has to think about what other item to bring to Show & Tell. Colin never needed the pacifier nor any security transitional object like the 臭臭. He is less insecure I guess. I think the 臭臭 phenomena is not gender biased, there are boys who use the 臭臭 until they are eleven or twelve. The same 臭臭 for a decade even. I never had the luxury of a 臭臭, there is no such a thing as "insecurity" in a household ran by a strong, dominating woman but that's another story.

Glad that we've been given the guidelines:-
Just zoom in to 3-star zone and focus on Delivery of Speech, Engagement of Audience, Content & Language Structure.
  • Audible throughout
  • Maintain eye contact with audience 
  • Sustain interest by using body language & props
  • Details, description, explanation, elaboration
  •  Speak in complete, complex sentences


 




No comments:

Post a Comment