Friday, September 5, 2014

Inching towards Minuet # 2

We've got a virtual music ally who helped us with the Es, As & Ds, as well as pointers on bowing.
Although I make my own "layman notes", I feel very anxious if I do not know for sure if I am playing on the right notes. With the help from our music ally, I have a much better reference, and a weight is also off my shoulders.  Before this, I thought that I was giving up at Minuet #2. Really. I even worry how to tell the teacher that I'm throwing in the towel. Do I just disappear from class or do I have the courage to say goodbye. That's crazy thoughts running in my head.

Now that we've inched towards this number, I think given another week or two we should be okay.
One mother saw my "layman notes" and commented that I should have "four notes to a bar". Another one studied my notes and commented that it was an excellent idea.....
I had made these layman notes basically for myself to cope with learning it as I hear it in my head.
Of course I don't hear the tune in numbers, rather, the numbers are useful for us at the initial stage of learning a new tune. After getting the fingers right, we would just practise until eventually playing it becomes unconscious (no need to memorise or recite, the tune will just either flow from your head or your heart). I hope this is nothing unorthodox, it helps us one tune at a time! 


2 comments:

  1. The younger ones are often taught this way, anyway. Like the 1st time my big son went to his violin lesson, he came home with the "score" for twinkle variation A and I was staring at that "foreign" thing. What is "AAAA AA EEEE EE 1111 11 EEEE EE " ???!!! (me thinking).

    You're not the only one struggling with quitting thoughts anyway. After every trying lesson, I have such considerations. Last week, I immediately shot an email to school office to ask procedure for withdrawing if we didn't want to continue!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After overcoming a new challenge, I'm always glad that we hung on. So it's one song at a time I guess.

    ReplyDelete