Tuesday, March 11, 2014

All About Isolation

Last week, as I was browsing some news on my phone and came across an article about how athletes use a "float tank" to recuperate and prepare for peak performances. The tank brings many other benefits besides healing of the body. I decided to make an appointment for a session because my Reiki teacher had shared with me about this, some ten years ago. So,,,, I went! 


I took these pictures before going into the tank. 


For a start, let me tell you that I was very anxious. I was nervous from the time I booked the appointment. I was nervous while waiting for my appointment, nervous thinking about total darkness. You see, I am afraid of water and even more so if "trapped" in an encasement, pitched dark. You know, even when I opened my eyes darn big, and starred darn hard; I can't see a darn thing! So, it was after many attempts that I finally summed up enough courage to switch off the lights and stayed in the dark. (there is a button inside the tank for the lights, but when I panicked, you know, I just panicked!)

Because I took so long to settle down (probably more than 30 minutes), I was feeling a little queasy. All this time I asked myself why was I doing this, and I felt I was wasting time. Then finally I told myself that if this is the last time I am ever sitting inside a capsule full of water so salty, I would jolly well just try to keep still! And so I did. And then, it happened soooooooo, suddenly. Suddenly, I was immobilized. Of course I can still move if I wanted to but I didn't want to. I feel nothing. Even my heart pounding sound became faint. I don't feel the water, the very, very strong salt smell became less uncomfortable. Basically, I was awake but it felt that I was somewhere else. You can call it a meditative state, an altered state, I will just call it the Theta state (4- 7.5 Hz), or the Delta state (0.5 - 4 Hz)? It must have been 40 minutes but before I know it,,,,,,,,, the gentle music roused me. That deep relaxation stage felt like only 5 minutes. I felt neutral.

I didn't give it much thought, I don't feel exceptionally different after the session 90 min session.

So I went about eating Laksa after the session. Can't wait to go home and play with KiCo.

Then,,,, something happened.
As usual, Kiki will keep shouting out for me to join them, climb at the playground, chase them etc.
As usual, I was very reluctant to lift my bum off the seat, whichever the seat is.
But then, I thought I just "action climb" the netting at the playground (vertical net). Before I know it, I was at the top most line. Kiki was shouting - "Mama! Mama! Come DOWN! come down!"
Wow,,,,,,,,, I haven't climbed a net in 30 years. I had very little body ache that evening.
I felt like skate boarding!
Can't be that float session, could it be?  I really wonder.
For once in my life, there is hope to regain the agility I've missed. I miss skating, I miss doing stunts. Basically, I miss moving my body.

So, people; you guessed it. I will be floating again. And again, and again.
I want to see how permanent or impermanent the effects.
I want to understand how I may change.



At this moment, Derrick (the owner), operates from home. He's branching out soon. You can visit the website or look them up from Facebook. http://www.palmavefloatclub.com/   

You can also read more about the tank from  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isolation_tank or Google or get some books on the subject if you are keen.

No comments:

Post a Comment