Friday, November 27, 2015

Volunteerism

This afternoon, we had a workshop on Volunteerism.

When I was first informed about it two weeks back, I thought that I should opt out because I really don't have time to volunteer on a regular basis. Plus, if I have the time to go cut the toe nails of another elderly, I should first go cut the toe nails of the three dependents at home. However, as I do part take in community efforts on an ad hoc basis especially with our CEO being an active PBM, she will always call for our assistance and ask for volunteers for the various befriending work she does; be it fundraising or run a marathon, or bring the kids out for an event. So I went to find out the various structures of volunteering and the areas it covers. You can choose a cause that you feel for, eg: children, at-risk-children, low-income family, counseling, handicap, old folks befriending.  You can check out The Lion Befrienders http://www.lionsbefrienders.org.sg/

I am glad that they've got it right.

If you've understood volunteerism correctly, you will know that it is not always you enriching other people's lives. If you are lucky, you will be humbled by the experience that it is actually them, enriching your life. 

So many people always say-- Give back to society, Give back to the poor, Give to the needy. 

They think they give and the receiver benefits. 

I say, if the volunteers are capable of touching the hearts of those in need, they will be surprised by the effects. 

They will know that it is them who have been enriched. 

And I am glad that the Speakers at the workshop, they all know that. They didn't pitch about "giving back". They say-- Come, volunteer. And discover for yourself. 





No comments:

Post a Comment