Thursday, November 5, 2015

Movie: 我的少女時代 Our Times



 So I went to watch this movie by myself. Bren is at school, plus he doesn't understand Mandarin nor would it do the movie fairness that he reads subtitles. At the rate I'm going, it looks like I'll have lots of movie dates on my own. 

So everyone asks if this movie is similar to 那些年,我们一起追的女孩 (You are the Apple of my Eye). Hum.... well, the common theme is school campus, puppy love, but no, they are not comparable but they are both good movies and rare. 

我的少女時代 is funny, lots of puns. It reminds me of roller skating days, school gangsters, McDonald's, teen's insecurities, emotional burdens, friendships, social discrimination, biasness, youth inspirations & struggles, and character development. It's good to be young because we do stupid things. Although the movie had lots of exaggeration about gangsterism in school, it is by no means unreal. Of course unless you didn't get the good fortune to be in a gangster school, you may think that the movie setting is ridiculous. 

Many years back I met an old, old schoolmate at a bus stop. He was a year my senior but he retook his O levels with my class and I also knew him from NPCC. At that time when we met, he was telling me that he still goes back to our old school and volunteer on some dunno what student stuff. (He's with the Boys' Brigade) and he invited me to go back to the school to volunteer etc. I said no lah, don't want lah. So silly, but I asked about my teachers who are still teaching there! He says that they will still remember me, he's sure. So I just sent regards. And we were saying oh wow, how crazy our school used to be with gang fights breaking out every other day and how the Red Riot Bus came visiting our school ever so often. And he was saying how he recounts those stories to our teachers now, and how they DON'T REMEMBER that it was that crazy.  There are countless crazy stories from our school. There was once, a bad fight between two gangs and the school rule was that if you really have to fight, you have to fight outside. But there was once a sheltered boy, not sure how he started a fight in school premises and we all thought that surely he would be picked on by the other gang outside. But no. Lo and behold, our vice P was his backer and it was rumored that our vice P was a former member from that boy's gang and helped to excuse him. That's shitty politics from gang transposed to school. We were all shocked because the vice P had not revealed his ties until that incident. There was also once, a "trouble maker" boy, after public canning (carried out by his father), became one of the top students in science class. So there are some good stories too lah har. But mostly, horrid fights. It is really ironic. I mean, the teachers mostly just pretended that gangsterism doesn't exist. Of course until the red bus comes or that a girl went missing from home till it made it into the newspaper. (incidentally, she was at my other friend's house and my other friend is Eurasian and didn't read Chinese papers). But ya, my school was nothing but a huge playground that made up my 少女時代. Ha......

we had an older version of this bus.




No comments:

Post a Comment