Wednesday, October 7, 2015

As per ususal randomness.



 Yiyi bought her a bag that came via night delivery. I was lazy to get up, so she signed for the package.


 

 She was playing with the Papa's torchlight and had thought that it was a torchlight with blue bulb. That torch is a UV torch, or known as "black torch" to detect florescent and neon embeded prints in currency notes and to sieve counterfeit money. (not that we use it, but we have all sorts of random stuff) so anyway, as I wasn't able to explain clearly, I showed her how the black torch works. I gave her a bunch of notes from the drawer and told her that all real, legal notes will have some markings or prints that will show up under the UV light. Then she started telling me that I have some fake notes, which to me, is very unlikely. I have a stack of $5 notes, indeed, a quarter of them has very faint neon markings, not totally absent of marking, just very faint. The newer notes' markings show up easily. It is either they made newer notes easier to detect or that the colour pigment of the marking faded over time. Don't know what is what though. Anyway, she discovered the Malaysian notes has embedded pictures, eg: a king pelican on Malaysia $5, a turtle on $20.






 So, in case you're wondering why I have so many $5 notes, well.................................. firstly, it is not a lot. I counted, I have total $125 in $5 bill.

Last month, I came across an article by a college prof., she "accidentally" saved $36,000 in $5 bills.
I say it was "accidental" because she didn't start off targeting to save that sum. In fact, she started  from a "not so fantastic note". She was cash strapped, worried about her kids' education $, etc. Then she thought that maybe she could start small. So she just stashed away every $5 bill that reached her hands. And she went on a cash diet. (that is, avoided credit cards). etc etc. One day, she counted her stash and found that she had made a saving of about $36K.  But I asked, how long did it take?  I went to her blog and discovered she had stuck to her habit for twelve years. TWELVE! I have two points to make (pertaining to my local context)-- (1) We don't get as much $5 bills compared to $2 bills. So in that sense, I have to break (spend) many $10 bills in order to possibly get a $5 back. more often than not, the change would be in $2 notes plus whatever balance in coins. So really, we don't get much $5. (2) her "success story" had the advantage of time. I mean, it's always easier to tell a story when its "success" has materialized. Nevertheless, it was a good story and she still keeps her blog updated and current, for anyone who might be keen to stash away small bills. The idea is that we won't "miss" that small bill but when accumulated, they could be quite substantial.

After I told Bren about me stashing away $5, he would give me all the $5 that he comes across.
So this is our combined $5 notes. so far $125.



If you're still with me, let me share another random thing --- every morning when I log on my PC, I wonder why did they make us do the "ctrl, alt, delete" thingy to start the PC. does a person with a lost limb require a different keyboard perhaps?  so today, I decided to end my wonder hence I googled "how to ctrl alt delete with one hand".  


1 comment:

  1. hi, i randomly save up 5€ notes too. Like you say, it is hard to have notes of 5. I often get spare coins when paying with 10€. I save them up for in-case situation when I owe friends or neighbours a few euros. Or for donation purposes. Or for paying the piano lessons. Since I use them now and then, I always have less than 10 pieces. Your post motivates me to keep them and not use them. I have 12 years to see how many 5€ notes I have. That's like 250€ a month to hit the target of 36K. I doubt very much so. :(

    ReplyDelete