Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The undying journey of our uncharted minds

I'd tell ya, the Suzuki Violin journey has honestly been an undying journey of our uncharted minds.

Towards the last song in book 3, we've been informed that Bourree (J.S Bach) is a Grade 5 exam piece. And that we'll be moving onto book 4, where some of the pieces are Grade 7 pieces. I am not too sure how this information strangely spurred Kiki on. She basically learned Bourree on her on over two weeks. Lucky, lucky me. Of course, there were tears, that song was very tough 40 seconds into the music, and we did shed many tears (frustration, exasperation) but after we've broken the hardest part, the rest of the learning came smoothly. Well, I still needed to write down those 1A, 2A on the scores but after that, she was on her own. It was easier on us despite my initial worry.

We have played our "graduation" piece, which was Bourree, and we did it without having to look at the scores. I am still not too sure if that's an exquisite skill (memory) but if I hold true to the Suzuki's philosophy of internalizing a piece of music, to feel it in your soul to play it without looking at notes; then I think we are on the right track.

Teacher S says book 4 is where most parents gave up. She says there are many difficult pieces in there, and if we ever slacked, we will not be able to catch up. (Oh, oh, no...........)

Again, just do one song at a time 吧!
Vol.4 for 2017, keep us with you please! 
第四级,请你收留我们!

6 comments:

  1. Once you are done with Book 4 - you're on your way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. to way more exciting repertoire! The more advanced and interesting pieces!

      Delete
    2. we're excited but i still cringe every time she has to play for our Teacher.
      i try to shake it off though, cos we're always coming back for more. more scoldings, more tears, and hopefully sooner than later, we would be able to play more sensitively. whatever the outcome, it has been a very good journey for us, this part of our lives together is what nobody could take away.

      Delete
  2. A1 is learning piano from the conservatoire (music academy) and the teacher has such high standards. I am cool on A1 but the teacher is not. I wonder if we can last the year until June 2017. I foresee tears coming soon and I really want to avoid that. I want my boy to enjoy his music journey. He is not concentrating enough. Will work on that. I read your posts and I think you and Kiki are really tough gals! You go girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Colin will start individual piano lessons in Jan. For a start, it will be 30 min sessions so I guess it would be relaxing sessions. Since we're in no hurry for any grading exams, it might take about two years before he would be exposed to "pressure". That's the relaxed way but it is rather costly for me. Haha. The piano teacher generally is quite soft and demure, however I have witnessed her sternness and it was unpleasant and intense. Anyway, if we get too protective, the kids don't get the chance to grow tough. If we get too used to being criticized harshly, it may affect our psyche. So I guess we could keep on going with the lessons and at the same time, try to regulate our feelings along the way.

      Delete