Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Freeze & Thaw

I froze a little after browsing book #4...... and I froze a little more after listening to its CD. 
The songs are very mature.............. and I'm not sure if we can do this. 
It feels like our violin learning has really just begun.......... gosh, after four years, the journey has really just begun! (faint!)

I worry that with school work, we might not be able to be as good a player we want to be. But that sounded lame even to me. So I braced myself and took a deep breath. We want to do this. One 'sentence' at a time. A 'sentence' is our made-up lingo for a small section of the song. It's like reading a storybook, sentences by sentences, paragraph by paragraph . Supposedly we should refer it as bars but I don't want to refer it as bar number XX to bar number XX. For me, it makes more sense that I break down the songs into 'quarters' or 'paragraphs' and 'sentences'. And so it is, we will take one sentence and one paragraph at a time, hopefully at a speed that is to the satisfaction of our teacher. 

I coaxed myself by telling myself that all other parents in our class also just bite the bullet and carry on. Most of them have older children who have gone through this same music journey, so their stamina is stronger, and it's like a walk in the park for them. Another fellow Mommy has her eldest boy doing the violin for the first time but she's like a super-mom, she imparts the learning to her boy superbly well. I feel fortunate to be in a group class like this because I feel that in a group setting like this, we spur each other on. It's like we are all rooting for each others' success, knowing how tough it is for some of us. So, I hope the group's dynamics could keep me going, and I hope we will have the mental stamina to carry on.





3 comments:

  1. Our Vol.4 doesn't have Perpetual Motion. :D Did Pieces, 1 & 2 only, and then the vivaldi 1st & 3rd mvt and then vol.4 bye bye. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh four pieces and it's over? Nice. Haha.

      Delete
    2. Haha - Tr S might be different since she's Suzuki. My youngest quit learning with his Suzuki teacher after starting 1 piece in Vol.4. His new (& current) teacher did that same piece and another 3 more pieces in Vol.4 within 5months and went on to Solo for Young violinists book 2 & 3 and then other solo pieces. I find that vol.4 is like the "growing up" book bc the pieces are a little more "grown up" - concertos, altho the 1st 3 concertos are all 1st position, so it's just a bit of training. Pieces 4 & 5 - help you grow up even more. :D Enjoy them lah. Hopefully by the end of next semester, you move on to new book.

      Delete