Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Thank you for the music




I had no idea how the news of his passing affected me. 
I am not a fan. Why then, did my heart break?
Flashbacks of adolescent years flooded my mind, but suddenly the already old memories were 3 shades fainter than they already were, and that broke me. How could his mortality affect the way I store or recall my memories? It was crazy but it does. That moment I realised that, I was overwhelmed.

"Wake me up before you go-go" was the coming of age song for me. It was 1984 and I was in P5. You can hardly call an eleven-year-old an adolescent but it was the year I made new friends and we sang to this song during our class breaks, it was the period I travelled to Centerpoint independently, it was the period I was timid no more.

Having being fostered to a family that had never wanted me in the first place, I had a hard time grappling with human beings of all nature. So the coming-of-age period of my life torched like a branding iron. It was the best years of my life. Although I kind of wasted my youth, I still think that that made me me and I wouldn't change a thing about the past. I loved my friends, they taught me freedom. (Ng Hwee Ngee, Loh Fong Yi, Imelda, Linda, Anette Ho, Rachael, Sarah. I remember you all).

Thank you for the music, George. We've had a lot of memories with them, Careless Whisper & the countless Last Christmases. 

R.I.P

No comments:

Post a Comment