Monday, August 22, 2016

You're Late!


You're late!
No, it was my Mother!


Today, for the first time, we were late for school. 

I told Kiki to tell her teacher that I was the one who was late.

I asked her to explain to her teacher that her mother (me) had forgotten to set the alarm clock, having turned it off since last week (we had no school on last Thursday & Friday as the P1s to P5 need not attend school due to on going PSLE oral exams).  And I had conveniently forgotten to turn the alarm back on. Next time I must set an alarm to remind myself to turn the alarm back on.

What time do you set your alarm clock at? Mine is 6.03am & 6.04am. These timings are carefully selected, if you will. 

You see, it gives me a psychological "gain". 

For instance, I might feel grouchy to wake up at 6.00. like it feels like a chore. however, if I sleep a minute more, it doesn't help cos it's just a minute more. then i would snooze and become late. After trial & errors, 6.03 would be about right. 3 minutes of "gain", while not risking lateness. 6.04 is the safeguard in case I didn't hear 6.03. So there you have it, even setting a time for me to wake up willingly, is an art. 

But today, really, we were late for school. Firstly, because of the alarm. Secondly, because I was having mensus and my body overslept.

I had a good laugh when we were reaching school. You see, there were no cars on the road!
It was refreshing and I was amused at how just five minutes make a world different. 
There was no anxiety, no hurried kids, no hurried parents, no hurried cars. I thought it was rather surreal. 

I took over the form and filled out her name, her class, and ticked the box "Mother", under the section "reason". There were school bus late, father late, mother late, other reasons. 

Well, to be honest, I also don't know what is the cut-off time for the school bell. I think it is 7.25am. We were barely 3 mins late but late nevertheless. 

1 comment:

  1. I set my alarm clock at 5.55am every monday. That's the day I need to go office. The rest of the days, no alarm clock but my boys ALWAYS wake up between 6.30am and 7.15am though school gates open at 8.50am and 5 mins walk from home. They wake me up at 8am. I know, I am VERY lucky. Enjoying it while it lasts.
    My sister wakes up at 5.30am every working day. She works in a school and starts work at 7.40am. *YAWN*
    ~~sohcool

    ReplyDelete