Monday, August 15, 2016

Saturday August 13th


Going classes

While they were at class, Bren & I had our usual coffee at the hawker centre. 

Then it occurred to me that it was the morning of the big event at Rio, must be around this time, now, I thought to myself. Looked down at my phone, it read- 9.12am9.12! It's happening Now! I exclaimed to Bren. Quickly I checked the live feed on the net. It was loading the next live feed text "updating", "updating", "updating". Oh come on, I thought. Hurry up now. Then, it says Joseph Schooling came in first at the 100m butterfly at 50.39s. It says it is Singapore's first Olympic Gold Medal in the 100m. I thought, this can't be our first, right? You mean we've never won any gold? No wonder such a big hoo-ha.

After that, everyone had a field day for the rest of the morning. Till evening that is. I've not "liked" this many "likes" on Facebook in my entire FB life. Everything also "liked". All sorts of Joseph Schooling news, everyone started to give more and more background info on the Schooling family, how his parents sent him for medical test to gauge his physical growth, how his mom ferried to and fro the States for seven years, the jet lag, how the parents sold their house to finance his training, etc. etc. More importantly, how self-driven Schooling was even as a boy of seven years,. waking up at 4 in the morning, even while on family vacations. That's when the parents sat up and took him seriously. etc. etc. more of their history, you can read about. I salute that boy for (1) self-driven, (2) humility (sharing his glory with his country), (3) levelheadedness (no crying, just a knowing look, nod, smile). From here, let's hope he expands his sports repertoire and develop holistically besides his pet Butterfly. 

 Schooling quickly grabbed our flag before posing for this picture. 

 How neat is this. 

 One gold, three silvers at the podium, how crazy! 

His idol and him (2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment