Monday, February 12, 2018

A different perspective


So, now that Colin is in primary school, I was just thinking back, making a mental calculation on how much money it may take for any average couple in Singapore to have children & afford childcare. While I did get a shock after realising what I've spent, what I cannot understand is how many of the people I know/see, are more or less doing the same level of childcare (as me) but on top of that, they are still able to bring the entire family on fantastic holidays;  places exotic to me. I could only think that they have returns on investments and / or dual incomes while I don't. Please don't mistaken this as any sort of complain or dissatisfaction; this is just me figuring out my own life. I am one who will always ask "How to do it", rather than sulking. I don't believe in sulking. 

So anyway, before you get me wrong, I am not a typical representation because there are loads of parents doing much more and spending much, much more than me, at the same time there are loads of parents spending much, much lesser. I'm just taking stock of my own situation. 

First and foremost, Childcare fees by itself differs a lot. For my case, I chose to put KiCo to a private childcare that charges $990 per month. Minus subsidy for working mom, the childcare fees works out to be $650++ thereabout. However, we have got the school bus fare which was $230. There are other miscellaneous expenses like school's outings and other subscriptions but I'll round off downwards to $1000 for childcare per month. So, two kids would be $2000. 

Now, come to the part about domestic helper. Average salary, plus discounted levy, plus food & lodging, miscellaneous like medical check-up, etc, works out to be more than $1000 but just to round off, I'll use $1000 as the sum for having a domestic helper. I needed to have a helper because I am not able to manage work, kids, plus special needs dependents under my roof all by myself. 

So that makes $3000 worth of a realistic fixed expenses per month. 

Multiply it by 6 years (72 months), I would have spent a whopping $216,000

If I had looked at the amount before I embarked on this part of child raring, it would have been overwhelming. It is a good thing I don't look at it this way because things might turn out differently had I considered solely about money. 

Of course there are cheaper childcare schools, just like there are more expensive ones. It is up to Parents to decide for themselves, so, when I've made my choice, I don't go around crying foul. For all that's worth, you can even don't send your kids to childcare until they are due for K1 & K2. But that's to each his own, not for me to comment. 

So anyway, one thing for sure is that the outlay I've made is way more than this amount. Because we had all the various extra stuff like Baby NLP, Baby Gym, music from the time they were babies, Abacus, dabbled in Art & Crafts, Speech & Drama, oh yes, the formidable Chinese classes, not forgetting Piano & Violins. Again, I don't feel I've done any wrong, so don't flame me for my choices and I've learned now that if I ever feel pitiful, I ought to give myself a kick. Given limitation to earning power, I have chosen this style of parenting over having a more lavish lifestyle and I am at peace with this. So now, it is to deal with my nagging anxiety, perhaps now with some form of a respite, I could take a breather, slow down a little, and pace myself for the next six years (till Colin completes PSLE). To the next six years and beyond! 




No comments:

Post a Comment