Monday, December 30, 2013

2013, a Big Thank You!


It seems not long ago I wrote one poignant entry about putting an "X" on my arm to deal with disappointments, well, that was one year ago and I am glad that this year, I only had to do the X once. LOL.
Perhaps it was because I am too busy to get disappointed since a rolling stone gathers no moss. 

So anyway, I will sum up whatever that's on my mind now that another fabulous year is coming to an end.

Firstly -- the couple above fully embrace the cliche "When Life Throws you Lemons, Just Add Vodka" 
Adapt, adjust and carry on with your life.
I think that's so cool and so true. I'm sure the younger ones are mostly like that.




Secondly -- during the Haze incident, I saw on old friend covering the news on our local Straits Times.
A very long time ago, Joyce recommended me to join her at the Ngee Ann Polytechnic to do the "Film, Sound and Media" Diploma. I made it through the written test and portfolio assessment, but I blew the one-on-one interview with the lecturer and wasn't selected for that course.

Every time I see some old acquaintances or old associates, I always wonder how different my life would be had I focused more on my studies during my Secondary school days, because I was basically a floater that had a big chip on my shoulder and didn't let it go. However, I have also acknowledged that I am very happy where I am, who I am, and whatever shit I do; I do it quite happily. Furthermore, I have two amazing children; one tells me - "OMG, Mama, you look fabulous!" and the other surprises me by replying - "I love you too" nonchalantly. Plus a husband whom I appreciate a lot but sometimes drives me extremely mad.  Plus a few friends and cousins who constantly root for me. What more can a woman ask.

In July, there was a customer who works as an Expeditor (logistics and shipment management) who scolded me over the phone over something that she got it wrong. I stood my ground and explained to her on how I am not wrong, but she went ON AND ON AND FUCKING LONG TIME NAGGED AT ME PLUS TELLING ME THAT _ DONT WORRY YOU (VENDOR) WILL ALWAYS GET PAID (IMPLYING MONEY IS ALL WE CARED FOR) ETC ETC. and I had to maintain my cool even though I COULD DO A THOUSAND TIMES BETTER AT PUTTING HER DOWN. but I didn't. and so I let her talk while she INSISTED THAT I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SHE WAS RIGHT AND I WAS WRONG, which I refused and SHE WENT ON AND ON REPEATING - "UNDERSTAND?" DO YOU UNDERSTAND? like that.

5 minutes after she hung up, she called to tell me that I was right (after checking with her colleague).    FUCK, OF COURSE I WAS RIGHT! She didn't apologize although she tried to be nice. 

Well, I have not experienced this for a fucking long time. She is new. All my fucking customers I have handled them for 8 fucking years so I already more or less know how to handle them. Hence, she threw a curve ball and I got hit in my fucking face. That fateful phone call came in just when we were about to leave the office to the main building to celebrate my boss's birthday and after I hung up the phone, tears rolled freely until I couldn't join them at the birthday song singing session and I think my boss must have wondered what was wrong with me.

So anyway, many months after that incident, I never end my emails to that person with the usual "with regards" because I am unable to be feeling anything kind towards her. I maintained a functional working relationship with her. Of course it served no purpose being angry at her but it gave me some form of justification to remain angry. Until ONE FINE DAY recently, I decide to let it go. And only then did I realize that letting go of something so petty felt relieving. I swore I could have carried it to my grave but I am glad I let it go.

And this picture (below) cracked me up. A chip on my shoulder. LOL.



Ok, so that was two.

Thirdly,,,, what did I wanna say?
Oh ya,



These two sketches were drawn by the same person. (Pamela).
The first was her original sketch. For many years she told me she couldn't do art for nuts. And I would agree. Then, her school sent her (and other teachers) to a course, and just a couple of lessons afterwards, she could sketch so much better and I'm sure you would agree.

The lesson I've learned here is that, even if you don't have an aptitude to begin with, if you find a effective person to guide you, the growth will be significant.



And lastly,,,,,,,, I am so glad my distance learning course is coming to an end.
It has been challenging, and very challenging. (still challenging me with one more essay and one more exam till mid Jan!) But I am so glad that I did it. I had several updated views and I am sure I have benefited from this gruesome twelve months.

I can't wait to PLAY, PLAY and PLAY some more.

Till then my friends; make hay while the sun shines, laugh like there's no tomorrow, and may there be joy in your hearts.



No comments:

Post a Comment