Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Moana has been on my mind

So!

My cousin did an DNA test.
The results showed that she has got 8% of Polynesian DNA.
We were puzzled because this has never crossed our minds.
I mean, which Chinese descendant will think that they are not purely Chinese?
Not when we all knew where our grandparents came from.

My cousin thinks that it came from her maternal side; which mean us.
I kept thinking.......... is it important to know where I came from?
I mean, I have always thought that I am Chinese but my ideologies are mixed, Eastern & Western, due to our exposure with the books and movies we watch. As to what our government had instilled into us, I find that we had been much short sighted and I have always felt the dilemma of being more liberal but could not freely be.

Anyway, back to the possibility of us being Polynesians.

I mean, we are not big-built.  Tan skin maybe but we are mostly short. Our mothers are even shorter. Our uncles are not tall, although with the exception of a few of us (cousins) who have round, button noses, a few of our cousins, aunts & uncles have very sharp, pointed nose that are uncharacteristic to Chinese (?)  Anyway.... to think that perhaps just four or five generations ago, my great, great, grandparents may not have been Chinese......? Could there be a "Moana" in me? I don't know!   Got to test to find out. (but bear in mind your DNA data will not be private if made via those pooled R&D kits, you will have to acknowledge that they can use your DNA to further research on anthropology studies).

So........ so what if I discover I am part Polynesian?
Do I go visit Hawaii? New Zealand? Philippines or Taiwan? where Polynesians migrated to.

What a mystery!

Will Kiki & Colin then have 4% Polynesian DNA?

Maybe it was nothing at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment