Thursday, September 3, 2015

Electricity


So last night after violin class, we were walking home when Kiki asked me-- Why are there so many "Electricity" posters around? They are also near my school. And some people "spit on it". I was alarmed. Spit on it? Did you see them doing it?  Kiki- No, I only heard them from speakers. (Oh, she meant she saw posters and also heard the campaigning truck doing its round of broadcasting those "vote for PAP" messages. She meant "speak" not "spit". which was also possible that some angry people might spit on the poster). oh man. So anyway, I didn't want to explain what PAP was about, so I brushed off the question and told her- Well, you can ask Lee Hsien Loong or Goh Chok Tong when you see them.







And then we really bumped into Mr. Goh. Which in any way, isn't a miracle since it is now the rally period, given that 11th Sept, next Friday, would be polling day.

I didn't want to approach him initially. But then I thought I had just told Kiki that she could ask him about those "Electricity" posters and this is the chance to ask. Right?
So we went up to him and I told Kiki to greet him good evening.
Mr. Goh exchanged greetings and asked what we're doing out and if Kiki is in school.
I replied that she is in school and we are on the way home after violin class at Parkway.
He asked if Kiki is in P1. I replied - No, she is in K2. 
He said- Okay, K2 can sleep late (turn to bed late).
He asked Kiki if she was good at violin.
Kiki replied - Yes      (ok lah huh).
He asked me if Kiki plays the piano.
I said - Yes we are taking lessons. 
He turned to Kiki and said - I think you like the violin more than piano. 
He commented that normally violin players will take up piano too.   (hum..... i guess so).
He asked if we would like to take a photograph together.
(I didn't ask him for photograph because he is not an entertainer, he is our Emeritus Senior Minister)

I pushed Kiki towards him and stood aside.
He gestured for me to join. And he said we should face the light to get a better shot.
All the time I felt like a dwarf (in terms of height)
So before we said goodbye, he asked Kiki if she has anything to ask.
I said that Kiki had just asked me what the "Electricity" posters were about.
He gently bent a little to talk to her. Explaining- "Tell your father and mother, the "Electricity" logo means "Power", you know, you need power to power your lights at home so you can read your (music) scores and play the violin. Tell your parents to vote for the "Electricity" logo."

Ha ha. In every way, he's campaigning. He just utilized an opportunity to carry a message.

So anyway, it was a nice encounter having to converse with him.



Happening at the other side of Singapore, the rally at Hougang.
Just look at the mass.



No comments:

Post a Comment