Thursday, June 28, 2018

Speedy SES Recovery

Lady Boss gave all of us a treat before we start our duties at the company's Corporate Social Responsibility volunteering day.

The dishes were nice & rather different tasting from most common Zhi Char Stalls.

 Generous amount of Raw Garlic. You can just have them as flavouring and do not need to literally be eating the garlic. Nice sour & sweet tasting sauce.


 Humongous Bowl of Hor Fun



 Minced Pork Tou Fu







First and foremost, I was reluctant to go for this CSR event.
I had declined it but the date was changed and I was being invited to part-take again.
The reason I didn't feel like doing this is because I find it awkward that I am playing the role of "giver" to a bunch of "beneficiaries" when I myself is in the low SES - Social Economic Status.
I am no different from these families, yet, I will have to surmount enough enthusiasm to bring cheer to them. It is not that I couldn't do it, but I want to be able to do it congruently.
While I feel that it was all right to host a buffet for the families, mingle and chit-chat with them, I actually....... hated the idea of asking them to pose for group photo.
I do not think that having them come and either smile or pretend to smile or even if they want to sulk, is doing any good except to show the sponsors the headcount as well as to feed the "ego" of the volunteers or sponsors. For a mere $100 grocery shopping voucher we are asking them to pose for photo taking? Rather insensitive if you ask me.   The past volunteering circles I've been involved in before, we never ask the beneficiaries for anything, let alone posing for photos. This is not as if we've helped them built a school or spent some time (days) together.  This is just over an afternoon.   Anyway, I am humbled by these families' humbleness. They joke, make fun of us, make us laugh more than we make them laugh. Who "saved" who? 
The beneficiary I was buddy with, had to rush off to work, but just over a short time we did have a little bit of connection and I wish this person a speedy SES recovery, likewise for myself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment