Tuesday, October 4, 2016

It ain't magic



As much as I would love to have us do violin, I am still not sure if we are in for the long haul. Let's not talk about money. Let's just talk about if we enjoy learning. The answer is yes. When we enjoy something, it is not tiring, it is rewarding.  However, after almost four years of picking up the instrument, Kiki is still lazy. Last week, I've told her-- Magic won't just happen. She asked me to elaborate. I said that there won't be the case where she eats, sleeps, wake up and magically could play a new song. I said, she has to eat, practise, sleep, then wake up with the ability to play a new song progressively. She didn't respond to that but for past two days, it was easier to get her going. Magic, in our case, won't just happen. It takes diligence for magic to happen. Kiki doesn't want rewards. For instance, I said I'll bring her to eat at here or there each time she completes a new song, she got upset and told me not to challenge her. I was taken aback. I explained that I was merely trying to motivate her by giving her something to look forward to, rewarding her, not challenging. I said it's fine if she doesn't want a reward, I could save my money. But it got me thinking, I think I might have gotten it wrong. She doesn't want rewards. Is she taking this as a self-challenge then? If that is the case, then wouldn't it be easier if she self-challenges and be self-motivated? I don't know, but it doesn't really matter right now. Although right up till now, we might just be passable standards but our violin journey has developed a special bond, and right up till now, it has been rewarding in our own ways.

2 comments:

  1. Everyday got to practise a little bit lor. Break the piece up - important skill. Recognise the patterns and break up the piece into Part A,B,C, D.... or Line 1,2,3, lor. Tackle 1 part a day, then add on the skill. Llike visiting pokestops and catching pokemon - the more you get, the more XP, and then you can level up. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do that but still got to nag which I hate. The other day I told her I'm giving up because it is tiring for me to come home every night to do this with her. Still got to revise sch work. Not forgetting her brother. So I said after her exams next year, we will stop lessons. Both violin and piano. And then she weeped quietly....... she wants to continue but she's plain lazy.

    ReplyDelete