Thursday, June 26, 2014

LOOM Bandz


As with many crafts, I normally could manage only basic, simple designs. On Facebook, I saw many of my young nieces knitting these colourful rubber bands and I thought those are rather cheerful-looking. So when I came across them at Isetan, I bought a few packets of the rubber bands that comes with a U-shape catapult-looking device and a knitting hooked needle ($4).

I couldn't wait until I meet my sis for her to teach me, so that night I searched YouTube for some tutorials and taught myself the simple craft. It was frustrating in the beginning but eventually, it's exciting learning something new even though it's something so casual. After making my first Loom (as I call it), I can't wait to make more for everybody I know. I wished I could access all kinds of solid shades rubber bands.

So anyway, the first Loom I made was for Kiki. Rainbow colours. I had promised her that I would place it under her pillow and asked her to turn in as it was getting late (I was struggling with the first tutorial which took up much of my time). By the time I was done, I think it was past midnight.

Immediately the next day during lunchtime, I made one for Colin.
I pondered for inspiration. I wanted each Loom to signify a good thought I have for the bearer.
So I thought perhaps a Sporting Spirit will be good for Colin and us. Like Sportsmanship attitude etc. along that line. So I made one Olympic inspired Loom for him.




Then my friend "S" wanted one. I gathered her favourite colours and made her one.

Then I made one Brazil themed but it didn't look as nice as I had imagined, so I un-picked the weaves.


Then I made a Germany themed Loom for my sis who has a Germany Jersey for the World Cup season.
(I used to have a set of Brazil Jerseys) So anyway, I've inserted some pink and orange among red to soften the red, imagine a flag flowing will show some shading, right?

That day when we went Sentosa, my three favourite persons wore their Looms, they all looked so cheery to me. =)



Added some pearls & beads (Daiso $2) and made a Dainty Loom for Kiki.
To our delight, the translucent rubber bands emits a subtle glow when in the dark. 


Kiki proclaimed that she, too, could make Loom Bands. (I was busy making the dainty one while she busied herself with the materials). Then she showed me her piece of work. LOL. 
  When I could spare some time, I will try to teach her this new craft.



Lastly, today, I'm going for dinner with work friends and am wearing one of my favourite dresses. So I made an Alice-Cat Loom for myself (during lunch break).






No comments:

Post a Comment