Monday, June 2, 2014

Audition for July's Concert



I think we should pass the audition since the Assistant Judge whispered- "good, very good" under her breath.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MP-h6uUnUR4

I am always appreciative of the teacher's sharing and showcase on other older kids' performances. Many times, there are students who visit her before their exams or diploma exams. I am not too sure if the students asked for her review; I do not know the arrangement, maybe they are just going for dinner but mostly we get a treat when the student(s) plays the violin for the class. I do not take vidoes on such occasions because it is rude if you don't seek permission and if that artist is not your kid or peer. I am teaching Kiki to appreciate the moment instead of trying to capture it digitally and loosing the essence of the moment. Those young students are really awesome, and it is heartwarming to learn that some of them have also started out just as young and from the same room as us. Perhaps, the teacher is trying to give us some encouragement by giving us a glimpse of how it may pan out if we work hard too. Two weeks ago, the teacher asked the class to play "D&A" strings in a certain beat to accompany a pair of students who were preparing for a concert of sorts. Kiki did it so seriously well, I was so touched. The tone that she played sounded like a bag piper, sort of Celtic / Irish music that never fails to stir my heart. She could concentrate on that monotonous rhythm despite the main player carrying on with the main tune, like a mash song. Not bad for a first try. The two of us were high on that simple exercise, we took turns to hum the main tune while the other hum the monotonous accompanying tune, all the way to the foodcourt until after dinner, I forgot how the tune was (oops!) But then I remember the teacher saying - Suzuki Book 2, song 2. So I googled it and found out the tune is entitled - "Musette". I hope we will survive the class through book 2, I am only getting keener now. Haha. Although still,,,, sometimes it is hard to digest when the teacher told me not to let Kiki play "beautifully out-of-tune", she says it's such a waste if Kiki forms a bad habit on fingering and asked me to correct her using the tape markings. (It's like........ sigh, are we still that terrible?) But - yes, mdm. I get what you mean. 

2 comments:

  1. I can see Kiki playing confidently and knowing when to pause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete