Thursday, February 27, 2014

Nat Geo & Bio Channels

Because I have little time for TV, I don't follow much sitcoms nor dramas.
If I'm lucky, I will catch parts of a movie.
If I'm luckier, I get to watch documentaries and I enjoy behavioural sciences most.

Sometimes, the geek in me wants to jot down notes while watching.
But always, I wanna share with you the interesting learning. But I'm not sure if it would be as interesting for you.

Nevertheless, let me put down the few things I remember for now.

We all know that a symmetrical face garners more adoration than a less symmetrical face. So try to even out your face.

Female names with two syllabus are deemed more serious (business) than one syllabus names.
For instance, people treat Deborah more seriously than Ann.
Male names work opposite. Eg: John is better sounding than Kenneth (for business).

Our brains are wired to "believe in authority". Before doubt sets in, we are quick to believe.
For eg. during the research, the professor dressed a man in suit and posed as a news anchorman, armed with a team of camera man they went on the streets to interview passerby. They asked what the public feel if being told that NASA Apollo 11 did not land on the moon and it was a cover-up. Straight away the people believed the news anchor man and expressed disappointment.

Recently, the most interesting episode I've watched was the one on how parasites alter and manipulate the behaviour of its host, including getting human beings to behave reckless and accident prone! In animals, eg: the rat, the parasite alters the brain behaviour of the rat and make cat urine attractive to the rat. It also makes the rat run in the open (rather than hide in shadows) so when the rat seeks the cat, it gets eaten and the parasites get a new host! Gosh, doesn't it sounds like alien invasion? Worse than scary movies.

On a lighter note, I shall part you with a static picture of wheels.
Look sideways or at the borders and see what happens.
(This is to do with our brain's interpretation of colours)
source: http://newswatch.nationalgeographic.com/2011/10/08/inside-the-secrets-of-illusions-memory/





No comments:

Post a Comment