Thursday, February 20, 2014

Adaptation

Last night, we were practising the violin when she slowed down and "soften" the tune too early and at a wrong section of the song. 

Hence I explained to her that the slowing down section is only four of the notes (as indicated by a "less than" triangle sign below). (I don't know the name of that symbol). 

She explained that she likes it when the song slows down earlier than indicated. 

I told her that she has to respect the composer and play it accordingly. I said she is not allowed to change the song even if it is just by slowing it down at a different section; I added that unless she is a composer, she could then design her own songs. To illustrate, I told her an author is a person who writes an original story while a composer is a person who writes an original piece of music. 

She then said - Do you mean like hundred and one dalmatians, the owner? He is a composer.

Me- What 101 dalmatians?

She - There,, the man writes songs. 

Me- Dumbfounded. Oh, yes, yes... the master of the dogs is a composer! Oh my gosh, she remembers what I had read!  (I had only read the book twice to her because it is rather lengthy). But well, well, I am very impressed by her comprehension. 

So she reluctantly finished her practice session accordingly, and I thought that was that, until........ part 2!





After she hurriedly finished the practice, she ripped a page from an old note book and wrote down the entire song by memory and inserted two symbols and asked ME ok, ME, to play it accordingly to her composition.

I told her that to write out another person's song is not original composition, at best, it is an adaptation.
So she said okay, then I could play an adaptation. (!!!!)
Wa,,,,,,,,, she won the case because I can't tell her there's no such thing since there are indeed all sorts of variations and adaptations she's learning. I am surprised she presented her case so well!
 

4 comments:

  1. So smart your girl. After reading your blog and seeing friends FB posts in Singapore, I tried looking for piano lessons for my boy. Alas, official schools only allow kids age 6 above. If not, have to find private tutors for home teaching which I am not so keen. Well, I shall wait a year or two then.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Sohcool,
    I understand the dilemma in wanting to start the children early while most music schools won't take children under 6. (over here, some schools make allowance and will accept students under age 4 on a case-to-case basis)
    However, I understand that having a head start does not guarantee excellence; many gifted musicians started late, some may not even be formally taught but of course starting early has its pros as it becomes second nature for the child. Lots of factors to consider ya?
    Some friends are encouraging me to start Kiki on the traditional violin lessons (we are taking the Suzuki method now; we have not learned the CDEGF type of sight reading but she does those with her piano teacher so I'm halfway there I guess haha). A friend told me that her friend's kid complete the ABRMS grade 8 (violin) around age 10, I don't think I could do that as the commitment is high. As much as I inspire to try, I think balance is key. Between another violin (traditional) lesson and Mathematics,,,,,,,,,,,, I am choosing Maths. Will share more about these soon =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. She can start slowing down the bar before. No problem. It's not quite that strict that you can only start slowing down where the sign starts . Playing music comes with feelings too . And here as you play, you are interpreting the composer's work. How different performers interpret, would result in a slightly different performance of the same piece .

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, a Guide is to "Play it as you would Sing it". We used simple lyrics to illustrate the dynamics and the staccato for this piece.

    Pop-ping Popcorn, Popping in the Big Pot
    Pop-ping Popcorn, Can you hear it Pop?
    (2X)—(matches the staccato feel)

    (To match the Dolce - Sweet Mood)
    Melting Butter, With some Honey, Sloooow-ly slooow-ly leeeet it driiip (slow down) Pause.

    (back to staccatos)
    Pop-ping Popcorn, Popping in the Big Pot
    Pop-ping Popcorn, Can you hear it Pop?
    (2X)

    Hope that you find that useful !

    ReplyDelete