Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Total Fertility Rate in Singapore at All Time Low

Headlines from The Straits Times

Fertility rate at all time low.
Fell from 1.22 (2009) to a historic low of 1.16 (2010)
To curb the problem, foreigners will make up the replacement rate.

I don't know how that will encourage Singaporeans to have more babies.


***
I live just 500 mtrs from a renowned primary school and I can't even be sure I can get Kiki into that school. Already I have been nudged to volunteer at the school two years before Kiki becomes seven in order to be sure to get into the school.

I can say it is a crazy idea but I cannot say I will never do it, because well, I'd never know!
(In this case, can the MP help?)

***
I have not heard of Nanyang Kindergarten until it made news when parents queued for 24 hours to enroll their toddlers into Pre-Nursery, one mother even had her baby with her in the overnight queue. I read up more about that school and discovered that they conduct the nursery classes purely in Mandarin, and they teach "shu fa" (Chinese text writing strokes techniques). No wonder it is such a draw. Chinese is like the big thing here and everywhere else.

Already I am stressed over finding a "better" pre-school for Kiki as my neighbour told me the one Kiki attends now is only for play. She withdrew her daughter from there after 4 month's observation.

***
People always tell me that we grew up well even without all the Gung-ho curriculum and we still managed to read and learn. In other words, they are telling me to be lax about it.
I am not too sure if they have picked up a local school text book or worksheet and attempt it.

***
The heat from our academic system is the main reason I had delayed family plans.
I need to equip myself with time and resources to bring up my child in the best manner I can. This is human's nature or at least inherent in many Singaporeans. Nature is nature but nurture is variable.

***
Even with these situations, we hope to have another baby.
So much so that this morning, I dreamt that I was pregnant.

***

1 comment:

  1. Hi,
    I was thinking of writing a post on this fertility issue too. But yet to have a clear mind for that.
    What defers S'poreans? If I'm in Sg, would I have 2 kids by now? Am I as stress about schooling for my kids in France?
    France fertility rate = 2.02 this year. An increase from last year. :)
    ~~ sohcool

    ReplyDelete