Friday, April 4, 2014

Library visits (school)



Kiki's school brings them to the library once in a month. Students with library cards get to borrow two story books; one in English and the other Chinese. Parents will have to return the books when due.

As this is an optional, extra curricular activity, we foot an extra $36 for six bus trips (chartered).
I appreciate that her school takes extra interest in literacy and also brings the students to the Drama Centre / Singapore Repertory Theatre etc; about twice in a year; next one being Rapunzel (next week).

I hope both Kiki & Colin grow to love theatre works so that next time I don't have to persuade for a date anymore. Haha. (Can't even convince my sis to watch what's that....... Fried Rice Paradise with me despite having our cousin among the cast.)




You know, I learn new words all the time. I hardly ever use the word "trounce", in fact, I didn't know its exact meaning. One night, I asked her what the word might mean. She asked if it meant "fight" (it's more than to fight, it means to defeat heavily, forcefully, in overwhelming victory. to trash.)

Then I asked what "Bug Squad" was.
She explained that its a name they called themselves.
Wa, I wasn't expecting that. Nice try!

There are kids who could read, write and spell well in advanced of age 5. I've asked her teacher last year about this and she assured me that there is no need to worry, she says it will come naturally. More importantly, the focus is to create the environment for the kid to become a natural explorer with keen interest in learning and fostering independent learning skills. This is inline to my belief when undertaking the Early Childhood Diploma some.... 9 years ago. However, I also appreciate some form of rote learning, especially when gaining foundation knowledge. The key is balance.





No comments:

Post a Comment