Monday, May 25, 2009

Week Eight

We are halfway through my maternity leave! Why does time fly even when you're not having fun. Kidding lah. But seriously, I am thankful I've got the much needed leave. Just imagine the pressure of returning to work while leaving a crying baby at home. An infant needs a lot of care and attention, and it takes lots of energy to do all the stuff. Incessant crying drives me crazy, many times I lost my cool not because I was angry but because I was helpless. A good back-up support team of grannies, nannies & aunties is much needed. I wonder if I'm a failure with domestical stuff cos I think many other women out there manage well with or without support. The forbidden word - colic (wind) might be the culprit that results in the extended whining at night but then I read a book that says that in other culture where the baby is being carried around the whole day (like in a sarong strapped to the mother / grandmother), there are no reports on problems with colic. The baby cries a whole lot less. Again there is conflicting theory about whether to carry the baby or to let the baby self-sooth (cry till blue??) The book says that we should go pick up the baby and sooth him, it says this is not spoiling him. Whatever. I think whatever that can stop the baby from crying will work. I really hope that I'm not spoiling Kiki cos I do carry her when she cries. Most of the time, it is because she has pooped or purged milk or is gonna purge milk. That must be uncomfortable for her. Recently, she is more alert and awake. She seems to be wanting to socialize and would whine for attention. I feel guilty if I'm caught up with wanting to do the laundry and leaving her alone when she is awake. Anyway, I am always striving to be a better mom and I'll get my chance for sure. The maid is coming tomorrow! Hurray. So I'll just train her to do the chores while I can then spend more time playing with Kiki. As well as getting a balanced life. Like go get a massage. Ha Ha. Kiki is drinking more milk now. 3.5 to 4 oz. My neighbour got a shock that she was drinking so little. She told me to increase the volume. Aunt Serene also said the same thing. Well, ok we will monitor and will give her more gradually. The weather is super hot and humid we had the air con on last night. The Chinese sin seh told me not to let Kiki sleep in air con room on a long term basis and I don't intend to but last night was really a killer. I think we also need the air con tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment