Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Inside Out: Bing Bong, Bing Bong.

Spoilers alert.
Please watch the movie then read this entry ok?

These characters are the emotions in Riley's head. Riley is an 11-year old girl who loves to play ice hockey.  Riley had trouble adjusting to life at San Francisco after her parents uprooted themselves from her hometown- Minnesota.

 Sadness

 Joy 

 Disgust 

 Anger 

 Fear 





Bing Bong is a mesh-up of cat, elephant, and dolphin (so he's smart, they'd say)

So, before I watched this movie, I thought that Sadness would be the character I would most relate to. Surely also Joy lah, cos I also have that "Can-do" positive attitude right? So Joy is this slightly overbearing character, always trying to keep things "Perfect" by having dominantly Joyous memories. She can be quite,, bossy towards Sadness. It's almost like IT IS WRONG TO BE SAD, that kind of unspoken code. But as Joy and Sadness became stranded in "long term memory", they were in this challenging adventure to get back to Head Quarters (current consciousness). Slowly, Joy discovered that because Sadness exists, everyone chipped in to support, hence at the end of the day some days ended "okay" or "joyous" because everyone came to comfort Sadness. Life itself is not Joyous by default, it is joyous with effort. Wa... so you think that's the message of the movie right?  There's more! Gosh. There's BING BONG. The IMAGINARY FRIEND! 
For anyone who may have had or still have an imaginary friend.............. this is so....... what do I say? Emotional. 

Bing Bong has been forgotten by Riley and he resides in Long Term Memory, long forgotten. He misses Riley but he has not been recalled for a long, long time. So here's this character who is all so sweet, uncertain, speaks with a gentle, sure-unsure kind of voice. He was helping Joy and Sadness get back to HQ but they are met with challenges after challenges because Riley's world is literally crumpling. Finally, there was a desperate attempt to get Joy out of the "bottom-est" pit where all discarded memories evaporate into dust, Bing Bong................................................................................
sacrificed himself. Oh boy. The love he has for Riley! 

Three grown man sat in the row in front of mine, the one in the middle wipe a tear and his friends teased him. I think anyone who have had an imaginary friend would have cried. 

Who or what was your imaginary friend?

Mine was a horse and a pixie fairy who can turn herself into a human (she was my maid) in my imagination that is. Only the pixie fairy can transform. The horse is always a horse. Of course they both were gone by the time I was eleven but they were the people I interacted with. You know what? There was a time I went to a "Totem" workshop and the teacher...... she meditated and saw in her mind that there was a horse and a pixie as my Totem. (!!!!!!) I have never told her that nor anyone else in fact. In fact, I had not liaised with my horse and fairy for decades but she brought them up. Scary or not scary?   I was shocked. Very shocked. But I was glad that they were real. As real as something someone else could detect. That is why I was so sad that Bing Bong "died". Why do they always have to do that.

Aside to discuss one of the scenes- the "Abstract Thought" room in the movie was labelled "DANGER". but why?  

The Abstract process went through four phases, the non-objective fragmentation, the deconstruction, the two-dimensional, and lastly non-figurative. I looked up what is meant to be non-figurative, it means-- do not resemble those known in physical nature. It means- not real. I guess the general consensus is that if one is too far disengaged with "reality" is a bad thing. (?) So debatable. 

So anyway, last evening I was thinking to think about my horse and maid again. LOL. But then I don't really need them now. Last time I needed them when I was commuting home. So they were actually my chaperones. On regular days, they grit with me and remind me that the weekend will arrive and they will bring me home. So now, I don't really need them. But they served well. Thank you, my horse and pixie fairy maid! You can go save some other children now! LOL. with love.

Yap. You can say that again! 




No comments:

Post a Comment