Sunday, September 12, 2010

A new Minnie

Ta-da! A sweet little minnie mouse.

I don't intentionally dress her up all the time but as it turns out, she has many charismatic outfits. Normally, I let her wear her nice dresses on Sunday as we attend her enrichment class. Today, her teachers all exclaimed over her. Her Japanese teacher- Misago Sensei, was the most candid of all. She exclaimed "Kawaii! Kawaii!" (可愛) so many times. Her English teacher went "oh! cute little princess" (which I think is not apt at all) I think the word "princess" should just be limited to the Royal Princesses or to Disney/Cartoon Characters, or when doing some form of dress-up or during a stage play. I hate to comment this cos many people, including my friends, have this 公主妈妈病 (the psychosis of thinking that their child is a princess). I don't even say it is 公主病 because I think it's the 妈妈 who instilled the 病 into the toddler, who may have this faux notion that they are princesses when they really are just brats. (no oops!)
Sure, you can by all means have the fun in playing the role of a princess but if the role playing becomes weeks and months, it will lead to a behavioural faux pas where the child thinks that she is the princess and everyone else is a commoner (?!?!!) The child is not to be blamed. Just look at who's feeding that notion to her brain.

Well, this entry was not meant to deal with this topic, I just got carried away as I am so passionate about our children and to bring to your awareness on how easily we could be influenced by what is being fed to us from the media, prints, movies, songs. We don't live in fairytales, although we wish we could all concoct one for ourselves. Well, I am in no position to tell anyone what to do or not to do, but I do hope that those princessy kids perhaps just all go to a make-belief land. No lah. That's just an unkind thought. Ha. Seriously, I just wish that all mothers have more insights and wisdom. Including me.

No comments:

Post a Comment