Tuesday, June 22, 2010

22nd June 2O1O

Today is our wedding anniversary.

We've known each other for 16 years and married for 7.
Almost every night, we sit and chat by the windows in the kitchen.
Sometimes recapping on the day, sometimes in awe with baby's recent development, sometimes airing and ironing our differences, and sometimes talking cock. Like what were we saying last night... oh, about mourning. He said the mourning period for a kin should be one year; you excuse yourself for New Year, Christmas and all sorts of social activities. I asked- then how long will you mourn for me? He said- the same number of years I know you, for example if I've known you for 40 years then I will mourn for 40 years. I said HEY! I am not gonna die in the next 30 years you know! And what mourn for 40 years, you're gonna mourn when you're in heaven?

And this is a glimpse of our twisted humour.

There is no special formula to a happy marriage. I think the practicalities of life in a city like this take away the romance sometimes. You talk about work, finances, juggling of home affairs, upbringing of the kids, in Singapore--- the pressure of academic success puts off many family plans. and what else,,, all sorts of mortgages - car, house, what-nots, the in-laws etc. But, it is still up to a couple to keep the marriage alive. It is so easy to let the intricacies of life ruin any fun you may have; so ya, I guess even keeping a marriage takes effort.

Every time after Bren helps me scratch a spot on my back where I couldn't reach, I would smile and turn to say-- what will I do without you?
He would reply-- get a wooden scratch-er.

And so, this is us and our funny senses.

1 comment:

  1. yeap, no formula to it but what i feel it helps is the couple should have at least a dual role. as a friend, a girlfriend,confindant, a colleague, wife, mother and all. sometimes pple just took for granted for the status and all, spend more time to 'know' a new friend, someone new. so... just be a friend with your partner too!

    ReplyDelete