Friday, December 22, 2017

You are what you feel


Kiki to Elsa: You're alone now, Mama never wanted to be you. 

This happened as some time ago, Kiki queried why I've never chosen the Elsa character whenever we play Monopoly. I told her I do not fancy her character because she shuts people out when she's hurting. Yes, I get it that she has insurmountable problems and would rather shoulder the entire weight and suffer the curse by herself than sharing her burden but to do that to her own, blood sister, is plainly having no ability to trust or having too much pride to let known her vulnerability, not taking chances even with closest aides, that, to me a weakness. (As I criticize her, I know I am also criticizing myself). Kiki pointed out that eventually, Elsa did "become good" (she meant open-up), which I agree to her observation.

 She would beg me to play Monopoly with her. 
Some of the games are just like this--- progression of winning or losing is very brisk when you have unfair advantage/disadvantage. For instance you see here, I've got 10 properties while she has 5. For a start, it has nothing to do with wealth because we both began with same amount of money. For the first ten rolls of the dice, it is basically based on Luck. After ten rolls of the dice, you will more or less see the structure of your wealth. You see, if you've managed to amass more properties, it is only natural that you will get more players landing on your properties, it is simple math. However, the landslide advantage is when you have "affiliated properties" i.e: properties under the same umbrella (colour), you will then, be able to collect double the amount of rent. Very soon, you will either be paying off your ass or laughing your way to the bank. It is not the same as rather equal chances of paying regular rent and getting regular chances (chance cards) or regular adversities (go to jail cell). 

Do we, as a society, see this at all? 
Do we? really?

People like me, are not born stupid. Perhaps born with less than good luck but surely with working brains, hands and legs, eyes, ears, mouth and nose, I should count myself lucky ya?
Can't help being unhappy over the fact that my parents chose to forgo their education and went to work at young age in order to put their siblings through school and to put food on the table. One generation apart, look who are collecting double rents? The children of my parents' siblings. They are cousins by name but they are not cousins by relation. Remember to be grateful for the roads you're travelling on, they were not built by you, they were built by people who had sacrificed and I refuse to be a collateral damage. No, and no thanks. I will find my sweet-spot in "social mobility". 

source: Illustration from a 1916 advertisement for International Correspondence Schools, Scranton, Pennsylvania, a vocational school, in the back of a US popular science magazine.


sketching with Instagram (using my story) 



You are what you eat, you are what you feel.

You are, however, not what you think (if you do not feel that way).



No comments:

Post a Comment