Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Last Friday Night

 Last Friday, I attended another cooking demonstration class. I was surprised that I actually enjoyed the class despite me being very angry with Brendan for standing me up. I absolutely abhor people who treat appointments with little respect. It spells carelessness & disregard and I take it very personally. It's like major minus, minus, minus emotional points wiped out, I am not kidding. The saving grace is that there are many other emotional plus points that he gives; plus, I know I am kind of anal anyway; so I do my best to be less anal. LOL! (sidetrack: by the way, an anal personality is said to form from the consequences of premature toilet training during early childhood development; there are loads of scholarly articles and papers on this topic if you wish to know, go find out.)

In spite of the turbulence inside me, I braced myself and remained in the class.

So anyway, I've learned that aged Briyani Rice could be as old as two years (!), and the texture is soft and chewy, nice. To seal the green in vegs after blanching, soak them briefly in iced water. I've also come to experience the smells of nutmeg, tumeric, etc. and the best part was to learn that cottage cheese is so easy to make. Just boil the full cream milk (1L), add lemon juice (one), a pinch of salt, stir and bring to boil until it curdles, then pour through a cheese cloth and let the whey drip, squeeze as much remaining whey, fold the curdle into a block and put an even, heavy object (eg: a pot) over the block (still in cheesecloth) for over 2 hours. Cut to serve by itself or add onto vegs or fried rice. It is quite flavourful although so little ingredients were used.



No comments:

Post a Comment